NLU Delhi: Do you want to know how life is at NLU Delhi? Does National Law University excite you like no other thing in this world? Then, read this blog post till the end (no scrolling allowed) to learn unknown facts about life at the NLU Delhi campus. Be the first one to know!
Table of Contents
About NLU Delhi
- The National Law University Delhi, established in 2008 by Act No. 1 of 2008, is the premier Law University established in the capital city of India.
- Dynamic in vision and robust commitment, the university conducts the All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) annually to provide admission to BA LLB (Hons), LLM, and PhD courses.
- The classic fact about the university is that it has been the only law school in the nation with its stand-alone entrance exam, i.e., AILET, since 2008.
Go through some of the facts about NLU Delhi:
- It was awarded the 2nd rank in the NIFR Ranking 2022.
- The then-President of India inaugurated it, Pratibha Patil.
- The motto of NLU Delhi is ‘There shall justice prevail‘.
How Do I Get Admission to NLU Delhi?
This is one of the common questions that many law aspirants think about.
You must qualify for the All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) to get into this college.
- To apply for the AILET Exam, you must have passed a recognised university’s 10+2 or equivalent exam.
- The admission is provided purely based on the marks secured in the entrance exam.
- Those selected shall be informed about the selection immediately by the university through email/post/phone/fax and by posting the result on the university’s website.
- You will be given a stipulated time for getting admission, failing which the offer of admission stands cancelled.
- National Law University, Delhi, has classes from 9:00 am to 1:20 pm. And after a lunch break, there will be tutorials till 3:30 pm.
- Classes are based on the interactive model teachers engage with the students during class. Participation and presentations are encouraged by every student.
- The time after tutorials are generally for self-study, relaxing, or whatever you want to do with it.
Expectation vs Reality
Life is drastically different from what you will imagine.
Though many may hear that the academic pressure is high, witnessing it, in reality, will be a new experience.
- You need to attend your classes regularly, not because of the attendance criteria but because it will help you more than anything.
- The NLU Delhi provides a great learning experience and a platform for students to grow.
- The law school offers ample opportunities to learn and grow.
- The law school provides an excellent environment for students to interact with each other and learn from each other.
- The law school also offers an excellent platform for students to interact with the faculty and staff.
- Life at NLU Delhi is hectic, and the students here have to juggle their academics and extracurricular activities.
- The law school provides an excellent opportunity for students to network with each other and learn from each other.
- The university will conduct many conferences and seminars; you will also be part of most of them.
- Also, the administration gives you the best opportunities to gain more knowledge.
- Shared spaces like standard rooms, washrooms, gyms, corridors, dining halls, etc., are common.
The university has a fully residential campus, and the hostels are clean and well-maintained. It provides separate halls of residence for boys and girls.
- Room allocation for all residents is done by draw of lots.
- The residence halls have many facilities, including standard rooms, pool tables, indoor games, TV, and a state-of-the-art gymnasium.
- All residents shall maintain basic hygiene in their allocated rooms and not damage institutional property.
- Life at NLU Delhi is lovely. The campus is energetic, and the people are friendly and helpful.
- The academic environment is perfect, and the faculty is very supportive. The hostel facilities are also excellent.
- Overall, I am thrilled with my decision to join NLU Delhi.
- All residents exiting campus before 10 PM on all days must only log their name, year, course and the accurate exit time.
- Students can have visitors on campus between 2.30 PM to 7 PM.
- All visitors of students shall be required to provide the requisite details when entering the campus.
- Residents shall not have non-resident students inside the Halls of Residence beyond 10 PM.
- No outsider is allowed in the NLU hostel.
- The residents, chief warden, assistant wardens, and wardens take hostel responsibility for management and maintenance.
The University flaunts its sprawling campus, situated at Dwarka, New Delhi, with a modern, trendsetting, and leading-edge infrastructure.
- Its facilities comprise an Academic block (five floors), halls of residence, hostels separately for boys and girls (six floors), an independent administration block (five floors), a library, and an auditorium.
- The campus is Wi-Fi (wireless friendly) enabled. The classrooms are well equipped with digital podiums, LCD projectors with display screens, and an ‘E-Station Smart Multimedia Podium’ used to facilitate teaching through audio-visual methods.
- The university has a fully air-conditioned auditorium with a seating capacity of over 650 people.
- It also houses four Conference/Seminar rooms, furnished with ultra-modern AV facilities, located on various floors of the Academic Block in the University.
- The classrooms are digital classrooms with an e-station smart multimedia podium for teaching.
- The auditorium has a seating capacity of over 650 people and is fully air-conditioned and equipped with the latest audio and visual facilities.
- The academic block consists of four seminar rooms furnished with state-of-the-art facilities.
- Also, it has an e-Moot Court Hall with a seating capacity of 170 people.
Academics & Teaching Methodology
The college provides instructions with lectures, seminars, and tutorials. Study material is distributed for each course.
- NLU uses interactive and participatory learning activities to develop professional legal skills.
- The faculty advisors act as mentors and counsellors for students, guiding and facilitating pro-active initiative taking, curiosity to learn, and an urge to help others; while engaging in their curricular and co-curricular activities.
- Pedagogy includes lectures, seminars, and group and individual tutorials.
- Furthermore, to develop and enhance various reading skills, research, analysis, and writing-projects and assignments are given regularly to students.
- Collaborative teaching is undertaken in some courses to maximise multiple and manifold faculty expertise and experience, thus promoting interdisciplinary and richly varied learning.
- Also, each course includes a project assignment to develop research, analysis, and writing skills.
- The university has always tried to maintain a balance between theory and practice.
- To do this, the university encourages students to intern with judges, law firms, PSUs, senior advocates, etc.
The university owns a library named Justice T.P.S Chawla Library. The library is presented in a separate building with two floors.
- More than 37500 books and journals and 180 subscriptions to journals and newspapers, and 250 CDs and DVDs.
- The library’s mission is to serve the needs of the university’s students, teachers, and scholars.
- NLU library has an expansive and diverse collection of print and digital resources to support the research activities of students, research scholars and faculty members.
- The library encompasses a rich collection of textbooks in Law and allied subjects, Reference books, and Bare Acts in print format.
- The collection of books reaches over 45000, including bound volumes of reports and journals.
- There is a subscription to 153 print journals, law reports, 27 popular magazines, and 12 newspapers.
- Currently, the library subscribes to 27 electronic databases accessible through IP Ranges in Law and Social Sciences: Hein Online, LexisNexis, JSTOR, Kluwer, Corporate Law Advisor, Taxmann-Online, Manupatra, Indiastat, West-Law, etc.
- These can be searched through the ‘Online Public Access Catalogue, often called OPAC.
- The library serves from 8.00 a.m. to midnight during the session.
- The library performs several anticipatory and responsive services, including regularly updating cases of the following:
- Supreme Court of India
- Central Legislation
- Newspaper Clipping Articles
- Alerts related to Articles
- Case laws
- Journals’ Table of Contents
Here is the list of scholarships offered by the college:
- Merit Scholarship for SC/ST/OBC/Minorities students studying in Colleges/Professional/Technical Institutions
- Scholarship for Diaspora students admitted in 2023-24 under the Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC).
- Post Metric Scholarship (Minorities) and Merit cum means-based scholarship for Minorities
- Merit cum means linked Financial Assistance Scheme
- Post-Matric Scholarship (OBC)
- Post Matric Scholarship (SC)
- Merit Scholarship to SC/ST/OBC
The university has basketball and volleyball courts. Also, it has a state-of-art gymnasium with the latest equipment.
- There are separate rooms for boys and girls in their respective residence halls for the practising gym.
- Presently the University houses courts for basketball and volleyball, along with a hip and user-friendly gymnasium with the latest equipment, available for both boys and girls in their respective Halls of Residence.
- The girl’s gym is being overhauled, shifted recently to the ground floor near the standard room for accessibility to all.
- More facilities for sports are being planned in the additional land, which will be available to the university for this purpose shortly.
Is Ragging Allowed?
- The rule of National Law University is – ‘say a big no to ragging‘, and ragging is strictly prohibited on campus.
- Any case of ragging should be brought to the notice of the authorities.
- Any student who indulges in ragging may be expelled from the university for one to four semesters or debarred admission to any other Institution.
Summing Up – After reading this fantastic blog post, we hope all your doubts regarding life at NLU Delhi were cleared.