AILET Syllabus 2024: National Law University, Delhi, conducts AILET (All India Law Entrance Test) for admissions to its flagship Law Programmes at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels.
Table of Contents
AILET Syllabus 2024
National Law University (NLU) Delhi has introduced a revised syllabus for AILET 2024, which is the entrance exam for admission to BA LLB, LLM, and PhD programs. Aspiring candidates planning to take the NLU Delhi entrance exam are advised to thoroughly review the updated AILET 2024 syllabus prior to commencing their preparation. The syllabus for AILET BA LLB 2024 encompasses areas like logical aptitude, general awareness, and English comprehension.
The modified AILET exam structure allocates 120 minutes for answering 150 questions. Similarly, the AILET LLM syllabus consists of two sections focusing on language and law topics. Notably, the AILET 2024 examination will be conducted offline on December 10, 2023.
The All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) is conducted by NLU Delhi in around 35 exam centres across the country. The university will offer 110 seats in BA LLB and 70 seats in LLM programme through AILET score.
AILET 2024 Syllabus – Overview
AILET exam is conducted for admission to BA LLB, LLM and PhD Programmes. The syllabus for AILET 2024 for all these Programmes are different from each other. Here is a brief overview of the syllabus.
|AILET BA LLB||AILET LLM||AILET PhD|
|English language||Different Branches of Law||Research Methodology|
|Current affairs and General knowledge||Law subjects/social science subjects|
AILET BA LLB Syllabus 2024
AILET BA LLB syllabus, released by the university, comprises three aforementioned topics. The AILET BA LLB 2024 exam will consist of a total of 150 multiple-choice questions, all centered around comprehension passages. Each question carries one mark, while an imposed negative marking of 0.25 is applicable for every incorrect response.
In recent years, AILET question papers have been notably lengthy, leading to challenges for students to complete the test within the allocated 90 minutes. To address this concern, the university has extended the test duration by an additional 30 minutes, allowing candidates more time to finish the paper. This change aligns the AILET with the CLAT exam format, both now being 120-minute duration tests.
The logical reasoning section of the AILET exam assesses students’ logical aptitude through the application of legal principles. Notably, the exam does not require any supplementary technical knowledge beyond what is provided in the syllabus.
Subject-wise distribution of marks
|Subjects||No of pattern questions||No of marks|
|Current affairs and General knowledge||30||30|
Important Topics for AILET BA LLB 2024
|English language||Fill in the blanks|
|Idioms and phrases|
|Jumble words and sentences|
|Choosing the correct words|
|Current affairs and General knowledge||Economics|
|Logical reasoning||Logical and analytical reasoning skills|
|Legal propositions and reasonings|
AILET LLM Syllabus 2024
The AILET LLM syllabus has undergone significant revisions. In the previous structure, there were sections dedicated to English and Legal Reasoning, along with two descriptive-type questions on legal subjects. However, the current year introduces substantial changes, with a shift towards 100 objective-type questions and the exclusion of descriptive-type questions. Notably, there will no longer be a separate section focused on the English language.
The newly formulated AILET LLM syllabus for 2024 now revolves around 100 objective-type questions, all stemming from various branches of law. These subjects align with the core topics typically covered during LLB degree programs. This change brings the AILET syllabus in close resemblance to that of CLAT LLM. Each question will hold a value of one mark, altering the maximum attainable score in the AILET LLM exam to 100, as opposed to the previous pattern’s 150 marks.
AILET LLM Syllabus 2024 (New) – Important topics
The official website says that questions will be asked from different branches of law and no specific topics are given. Therefore, candidates are advised to prepare for the LLB subjects. The important topics for AILET LLM 2024 are as mentioned below.
- Constitutional Law
- Administrative Law
- Law of Contract
- Law of Torts
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Property Law
- Company Law
- Public International Law
- Tax Law
- Environmental Law
- Labour & Industrial Law
Previous AILET LLM Exam Format
|Sections||AILET LLM Topics||Total Questions||Marks|
|Section A||English language||50||50 marks|
|Legal reasoning||50||50 marks|
|Section B||Subjects of law||10 (Only 2 to attempt )||50 marks|
Evaluation of Section B of AILET LLM question paper
|Section B of AILET LLM was to be evaluated only if the candidate secures 50% marks in each subject mentioned in Section A. This means candidates had to score at least 25 marks out of 50 in both English and Legal reasoning sections.|
AILET 2024 Preparation Tips and Tricks
The AILET examination which is conducted by NLU Delhi is one of the toughest competitive exams. Therefore, candidates who are going to prepare for AILET 2024 should study the syllabus systematically. The following tips and tricks will help them in giving the exam better.
- The candidates should check the subjects included and exam format carefully before starting their preparation for AILET 2024.
- The students should make a daily study timetable for the AILET entrance exam and follow it sincerely.
- They should engage themselves in reading newspapers like ‘The Hindu’, ‘Times of India’ and ‘The Indian Express’ on a daily basis.
- They should read AILET 2024 preparation books related to the Programmes (BA LLB, LLM).
- Students should distribute their time according to the weightage of subjects in AILET 2024 preparation.
- Another benefit for the students, in terms of better retention, would be making handwritten notes while studying the subjects of AILET 2024.
- If possible the students can take subject-wise coaching classes for the AILET exam. This would not only help them in understanding the topics better but also give them an idea to know which subject requires more effort.
- The candidates can also view modules on ‘AILET 2024 exam preparation’ online through platforms like YouTube.
- They should solve mock tests and previous year question papers of AILET exam. The mock test and the previous year papers will help them understand the examination in a better way.
- Students can practise questions based on comprehension passages for subjects like English language, logical reasoning and legal aptitude.
- As AILET 2024 is going to be a lengthy exam, thus the students are advised to learn time management skills.
Read Also: Differences Between CLAT and LSAT